Re: Work done by Friction

I guess I am naive. I still don't get the problem.

Say we have a block of original kinetic energy K1 that encounters a frictional
surface. It travels a distance d experiencing an average force F over that
distance. I expect that the block will have a new kinetic energy of K2 = K1
-Fd. That is, delta K = W.

Now during that time I expect an amount of thermal energy Q to be generated,
where Q = Fd = W. Now the thermal energy is not simply distributed, but is
shared by the block and the frictional surface and may be conducted or radiated
away in some complicated way.

What am I missing?

Tim Sullivan
sullivan@kenyon.edu