Work done by Friction

Hi!
I'm with a group of high school physics teachers. We are in disarray.

Textbooks that we use commonly refer to the "work done by friction"
in slowing the speed of objects. There are some who think this approach
is flawed. Others indicate that the right answer is commonly obtained
by treating such friction as work.

Some would just ignore the textbook treatment and indicate that
"work done by friction" is not the way to address the energy "dissipated".

There are strong opinions present here. What is the thoughts of
those of you on this list?

Tim