Re: Sulphur hexafloride

Pete and the list,

I never stood on my head to get it out. It was however difficult to
completely clear my lungs. I remember feeling short of breath for the best
part of the day. But I also did it for 5 classes. Gosh I was dumb back
then! It was a cool effect though -- and got the point across.

Doug benning
Now doing stupid things in Japan

Had a teacher at my school do this several years ago...

As I recall, a lecture bottle (enough for 3-4 demos) was about $80.00 or
so and we had to buy the bottle. The supplier said that they could not
refill it. ??

Most speciality gas suppliers should have it or can get it. You might
also try a semiconductor manufacturer, if there is one near you. They
use the stuff for something and maybe they can fill some baloons for
you.

A safety note. The SF6 is much more dense than air and tends to settle
in the lungs instead of being mixed and exhaled. My teacher would stand
on his head for a few minutes at the end of each class to help get rid
of the gas. I don't know if it helped or not, but, it made him feel
better.