Re: Science Lab Staff

This sounds like a job description for a grunt, especially the last item:
16. Perform other duties as assigned by the Physics & Astronomy Lead
Faculty. The only item on the list that this person is completely
accountable for is the repair of equipment (I'm not counting the ordering
of supplies). Otherwise, you are looking for somebody to assist faculty,
a technical secretary perhaps?!

Dean Hudek ran this crackerbarrel session on the gripes of "us kind of
guys" and the AAPT meeting last summer, and is doing so this summer. At
the time last summer, I thought a few of "us guys" were getting a little
too outrageous with some of their concerns, what to call "us guys",
dealing with faculty, etc. When I read this job description, I begin to
understand why that session was planned, and why it's running again this
year! You probably did not intend to belittle anyone, but you just
described us as 'helpers'. That ain't how I want to be remembered, "Boy,
that Sam sure was a good little helper". Independent and creative people
want more than this in a job.

You should make this person responsible for designing and developing new
labs and lecture demos. Give the person some intellectual freedom and
responsibility. The faculty can assist should they want to! I really
don't think you want to hire the kind of person that would read you ad and
think that was a great job!

Dean, see you at that crackerbarrel session!

TTFN,

Sam

Sam Sampere
Syracuse University
Department of Physics
Syracuse (Where all the snow is NOT..), NY 13244