Re: law of conservation

I have the following questions:
1) Does it make sense in the classical GR context
to talk about gravitational energy in general (or
just for just special spacetimes)?
2) How is the corresponding situation for angular
momentum and linear momentum in classical GR ?
3) In newtonian physics conservation laws are connected
to symmetries (Noethers theorem) and appropiate
boundary conditions. Is it possible to make statements
about existence or absence of conservations laws (energy,
linear momentum and angular momentum) according to
symmetries of spacetimes and their corresponding boundary
conditions (asymptotic flat ect.)?
Bob Sciamanda wrote:
Bill,
This statement may be vague enough to be true, depending on just what is
meant by "significantly different properties". Can you be specific as to
just what other connotations you necessarily include in the word
"conserved"?

(We are going to the heart of grave, unspoken misconceptions which our
teaching language fosters - we are wont to speak of energy as if it were
a tangible "thing".)

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net