Re: Arthur C. Clarke on Cold Fusion

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, A. R. Marlow wrote:

It is indeed sad to see in the pages of SCIENCE the sort of writing that
usually characterizes ufology: money back guarantees are claimed for
certain devices supposedly producing unexplained amounts of energy, yet no
information is given about where such devices may be purchased. Surely,
if money back guarantees are given, the devices must be on sale. But
where? Does anyone know?

Yes, this was the research package (ceramic-bead electrochemical cell)
sold last year by CETI Inc. to interested research institutions.
Blacklight may have offered research packages too, I'm not sure. Nothing
was sold to the public, as far as I know. CETI was formed by Drs.
Patterson and Miley of "cold fusion" fame (or infamy!) Blacklight is Dr.
R. Mills of the "hydrino" theory of "CF." All of them claim to have
successfully replicated the Pons/Fleichman claims.

CETI http://biz.onramp.net/~ceti/

BLACKLIGHT http://www.blacklightpower.com

In the past, I've seen authors actually mention the company names in these
sorts of messages. But then their opponents lash out at this, saying that
it is blatant advertizing of a commercial venture, and the placement of
such things a science forum is shameful. Should Sir Arthur be attacked for
keeping secrets, or attacked for stooping to giving out free advertizing
in an international science forum?

Companies producing cutting edge energy
technology should certainly be aware of the standard means of advertising.
Anyone aware of any internet sites or email addresses that Sir Arthur
chose to keep secret?

Are the names and email addresses of private for-profit companies usually
placed in the essays in SCIENCE? They might have rules against such
things. Or perhaps he was aware that everyone would attack him if he
"advertized" these groups. Or maybe he even owns stock in one of them,
and so he dares not advertize them. I wouldn't leap to the conclusion
that Sir Arthur has a hidden agenda regarding withholding the addresses.

Then an unnamed fellow of the Royal Society is
quoted in support of such things. What possible support can an unnamed
reference give?

Good point. The guy probably demanded to remain anonymous, since the
expected reception to this type of information would obviously be hostile
and quite detrimental to one's career. Maybe Sir Arthur should have left
any mention of this out of his essay. But that would be bowing to fear of
his opponents.

The stature of the people who stand up and say "hey, there's something to
this Cold Fusion stuff after all" is somewhat meaningless. Arthur C.
Clark's reputation appears to be unable to increase the low reputation of
CF. The emotions still run high, and I doubt that this essay will give
anyone some second thoughts. Instead, the low reputation of CF acts to
damage Arthur C. Clark. It is with good reason that others of less
stature might wish to remain anonymous. Sir Clark can safely speak out,
since it is difficult for any opponents to damage his career. I'm
certainly no hero here, if I was something other than a lowly electronics
designer, I would probably not dare to post anything about "CF".

Both SCIENCE and Arthur C. Clarke demean and embarrass
themselves and the rest of us with such a waste of space in a supposedly
reputable journal.

If the test of time shows that Clarke is mistaken about "CF" or "New
energy", then you are correct, it is a waste of time in pursuit of a dead
end. I wouldn't go so far to say it is demeaning or embarassing. If we
are a little too embarassed about our mistakes, or if we try too hard to
suppress the "erroneous" part of the trial-and-error process, we suppress
learning. If Sir Arthur's essay had been censored because of his
assertions regarding "CF", now THAT would have been a shameful act.

I believe that I've been quite irritating enough for this month, I'll shut
up about this now.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb