Re: DISTANCE LEARNING

Miguel A. Santos wrote:

4) Students learning at home will depend on Internet browsers. An
interactive tool for students and teachers (a software layer above
a browser) is often needed. Such tools are being developed very
intensively. For example, TopClass and webCT, which do not depend on
special software to be sent to each student, or FirstClass, which does.

I believe these added tools will be necesary for success.

For any of you interested in such experiences, the Catalan Open University
is one (the first?) that works completely over the web. Students have
to buy a PC with modem and basic software (Netscape,Netexploter...) and
that's almost all. Their comments I have heard are very positive as
Harald Schenk's comments. Students have a meeting with Teachers I think
once or twice over the course. Exams as well as Lab classes are taken
at selected sites (not virtual, but real ones). They do not teach physics, yet.
But they do teach Computer Engineering, Political Sciences, Psico-pedagogy,...

Students may find it easier to contact with others via chat or e-mail than
in real life.
(SNIP)
Agreed. I am now taking a course (as a student) that started with about
10 weekly sessions face to face (here) and is continuting through a
Firstclass server based at Montana State University. All the people on
the course are busy - three working full time.
The instructor dials in twice a day and responds as needed.
But the thing that makes it work IMO is the type of problem which are
design problems. Not every type of course would fit.
I am really enjoying the style of interaction and will build it into
courses in the future when I can.

Me I have some doubts. I think that there some skills that can
only be developed within a face-to-face discussion. At least, chats
or e-mail's won't do the work as well as the classical (natural)
way does.
(SNIP)
E-mail/discussion groups are an additional tool that in my experience
has led to better and clearer communication and conceptualising of the
problems - PROVIDED there is time and thought put into things. I
hypothesis at least two approaches: the 'bash it out and send it'
approach. The 'bash it out, leave it and edit it later then send it"
approach. I'd like a browser that allows a much better and more
intuitive desktop so I can have a reasonable number of pending trays and
articles in them.
I manage three projects basically by e-mail and if the people on the
other end are as dilkigent with mails as they are with paper or faxes
they go well.

BUT:
I'm a little wary of anyone claiming to be able to deliver a TOTAL
course in some subjectrs over the web. eg physics. Most I find have
block courses with practical work.

Others (like arts subjects) I believe will require some form of chat for
the debate/interaction component to have integrity.

Derek

--
Derek Chirnside d.chirnside@phys.canterbury.ac.nz
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Canterbury

Ph: +64 3 364 2987 Ext 7561
Fax: +64 3 364 2469
Home: DCandPC@netaccess.co.nz