Re: email question (was The HTML Experiment)

On Thursday, Sam Held Worte:

Jmaes,
There is a solution to your problem that avoids downloading mail
onto your current machine. My advisor has implemented it and I am soon
(later this summer) moving to it. It involves setting up an IMAP server
instead if a POP server. I will my PC at the university to serve as host
- that is all my e-mail will be forwarded there and I can view it via
Netscape Mail from any computer in the world (that has Netscape) by
logging back into my computer at school. I say Netscape Mail because it
can run on PC's, unix machines, and linux machines (I think). I cannot
say for sure about Eudora Light but I am pretty sure there is no unix
version of it. PLus, with the unix version, I can do it from a dummy
terminal by logging onto a unix machine. So many options. If need more
details, I get them for you.

Sam, you have found a solution that is akin to splitting a pea with a
sledgehammer. Eudora is available for those poor benighted souls who don't
know anything better than PC's and Windoze, and in Eudora, as I have told
James privately, the solution to his problem is a click of a counse on one
line of the setings file. It's easy, and it works like a charm, at least on
my Macs. Since the folks at Qualcomm seem pretty competent, I assume that
they were even able to make the Windoze version of the program work the
same way. Don't waste your time trying to do with an H-bomb what needs a
firecracker.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>