Re: email question (was The HTML Experiment)

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Hugh Haskell wrote:

As Bob has pointed out most e-mail programs have the option of leaving the
incoming mail on the server for a specified time. Eudora is no exception.
Just go to the "Checking mail" item under the Settings command of the
Special menu and there you can have the mail kept on the server for a
specified number of days.

Easy. I have done it this way for months.

I don't think this solves the problem. James said specifically that one
of his options was

1) Leave a copy of the emails on the central computer, and when I am done
reading go into another mailer on the central computer and delete the ones
I have just read... if I can remember which ones they were.

The problem with leaving mail on the server and reading it from two or
more locations--it seems to me--is that you have to process everything
twice (or more) and you end up with two (or more) unsynchronized sets of
email messages since, unless you are *very* disciplined, you will save
some messages on one machine and delete them on another. Gets confusing
after the first thousand or so! It is (primarily) for this reason that I
have stuck with PINE which seems to me a capable, though not marvelous
mail reader and which allows me to keep all my mail files in one central,
accessible place.

I do hope to upgrade to a *more* capable POP mail client one day but for
now, whenever I am away from home, I am always *very* happy to have
complete access to my mail files and my usual reader using nothing more
than a telnet client.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223