Re: POLARIZATION

brian whatcott says:
Does James believe that polarization equates to spin?
If so, this seems to prescribe preferred polarizations.

It is my turn to be flattered, since I didn't know the answer. But I
thought I remembered this from some class or other. Imagine my surprise
when I opened 'Lectures on Quantum Mechanics' by Baym and found that the
very first word in the main text are:

Chapter 1: Photon Polarization
In order to become more familiar with the concepts and techniques of
quantum mechanics, let us concentrate on one of the simplest quantum
mechanical systems -- one with which we are all very familiar -- the
polarization of light.

!!!!!!!
Anyhow, skimming that chapter, it appears that polarization does in fact
equate to spin.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu