Re: a different test scoring policy?

At 10:56 PM 6/12/98 -0700, you wrote:
I recently had an nebulous idea on a test scoring strategy to discourage
blindly applying equations (perhaps chosen simply because the symbols
match), rather than thinking through the physics. The basic idea is to
*subtract* points when this occurs. That is, a really botched problem
could actually garner a negative score.

I have not thought at all about a more concrete implementation, nor am I
even really sure that the idea is a good one. Would the prospect of
negative scores be too frightening to students?

So I ask: Has anyone here done anything resembling this? Does it sound
like a really bad idea?

I've toyed with similar notions, but I always felt the time to write such
exams would be more trouble than it was worth. What I have done, however,
is to demand more than numerical answers - I require a narrative
explanation of what they are trying to do, and much to their discomfort I
also grade for spelling and grammar! The grading criteria are attached to
the syllabus for each course (and available on my web site for those who
have any interest.)

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "Understanding is a lot like sex. *
P.O. Box 5005 * It's got a practical purpose, but *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * that's not why people do it, normally." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Frank Oppenheimer *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html