POLARIZATION

If linear polarization can be described as a superposition of circular
polarization, and vice versa, how can one be more 'basic' than the other?

Linear is more basic because it can be comprehended without "circular".

And it is conceptually more simple.
One-dimensional motion (of the tip of the vector) is more simple than
the two-dimensional motion.

3) According to our teaching tradition linear polarization is presented
first. This makes it more basic than an elliptical or circular one.
Do we have a good reason for starting another tradition? Is it worth
the effort? There is always a price to pay for trying to establish a
new order, even in teaching.