Re: Ice cream scoops

David Dockstader says:
I was skeptical of a fluid freezing and thawing because I think this would
burst the spoon.

Only if the fluid has the unusual property of expanding on freezing. True,
this rules out water, but not many others.

Ludwik's post seems to confirm my suspision. I think the
liquid remains liquid and just helps transfer heat or energy through the spoon.
I think this is the same idea as sodium filled valves on high performance
engines. Convection + conduction is better than conduction alone.

I find it hard to believe that the intention is to use heat from the hand.
I don't think my hands put out that much heat. I can melt ice cubes in my
hands, but the process is neither comfortable nor terrible rapid.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu