Re: POLARIZATION

At 18:36 10/06/98 -0500, Brian Whatcott wrote:
Hmmm. I can see that I need to speak more directly to David's discomfort with
the description I gave which mentioned optically active materials.

1) It is not quite appropriate (in my view) to allude to particals
(or even particles) when one is discussing a facet of electromagnetic
radiation which is evidently wave-like.

This touches a question in the exam I'm currently marking. Candidates are
asked to explain why polarization provides evidence for a wave rather than
a particle theory of light. I'm not too thrilled with the question. Is it
possible to explain polarization in terms of photons? Spin is the only
orientable property I can think of.

2) The quotation given by David as emanating from Voss is clearly wrong.
I hasten to add that its 'wrongness' may issue only from an incompleteness
of the quotation.

To justify this bald assertion, I repeat that it is a fundamental
requirement of any helically polarized electromagnetic radiation (which is
often called circularly polarized) that it must be analyzable into two
orthogonally polarized components which differ in phase by a quarter wave
at the frequency of interest.

Let me make this quite clear: the superposition of two waves of one
quarter wave phase difference but of the same polarization leads only to a
non-rotating wave of intermediate phase. This is David's principal error,
in my view.

I am irresistably reminded of playing with Lissajous figures on an
oscilloscope.

This thread has been very instructive for me.

Mark.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic
34013 Duino TS