Re: neutrino mass

LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

The conclusion is based on a theory which relates observed oscillations
to the mass. I would be more convinced if somebody was able to show
that the maximum energy of beta particles is slightly less than what
is due to the mass difference (before and after the decay). Can mass
spectroscopic data be accurate enough for such approach? We will see
when the value of the mass is announced.

A mass will not be announced, rather a lower limit will be given (0.07eV
+/- 0.04 eV) as the experiment is not designed to measure mass but rather
the difference in mass between the oscillation states of the neutrino. For
example if the neutrino oscillates between the mu-neutrino and the electron
neutrino then one of these neutrinos in 0.07eV more massive than the
other. So technically one neutrino could have zero mass while the other
would have a mass of 0.07eV. What makes this experiment so important is
that we have been able to give upper limits to neutrino mass we never had a
non-zero lower limit. Now we have a lower limit.

David Emigh