Re: Einstein on education

Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 14:27:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Dockstader <DRDOCK00@UKCC.UKY.EDU>
Subject: Re: Einstein on education

The Einstein quotes were interesting. How did you come across this speach?
It would be fun to read the whole thing. Was it published as part of a
collection of papers?

II was cleaning my study and found this xeroxed article marked "to read".
It was sitting here many years. In any case it is from "Ideas and Opinions"
by Albert Einstein (page 59 to 64), published by Bonanza Books, New York.
No other information about the book, probably long time ago.

Unfortunately, not many Einstein's show up in my classes so I don't
necessarily feel compelled to follow his advice, in spite of the fact
that I basically agree with it.

I do not think Einstein had super-gifted kids in mind while speaking
in Albany. And modeling method [of David Hesten] is also for common
h.s. kids, not for those who are exceptional. I learned a lot when
David allowed me to participate in the workshop for h.s.teachers. But
I can not imagine him teaching without lecturing. He was our "ideologist",
the task of conducting modeling activity was on the sholders of
experienced practitioners.

Sorry my reposting was also butchered. I do not know why composing the
message at home (Simple Text on Mac) and FTP-ing it to the main frame
machine created hidden characters. All looked good on the main frame
when the message was sent to Phys-L.
Ludwik Kowalski