Re: cooling water

Reply to: RE>>cooling water

On Thu. June 6, William Beaty wrote:
. . .
I keep noticing triangular pyramids on ice cubes, and ice-spires having
triangular crossections. I have no clue as to why these should occur.
Certain crystallographic directions grow faster in solidification from the
liquid than others. If the direction of fast growth has the rotational
symmetry of 360/3 degrees this may explain the triangular shape.