Re: Polarization of IR

Troubles we are having lead us to believe that IR does not (easily)
polarize. Is that true? If so, why not? I have not found a useful
explanation
in any of my basic texts.

Thanks for any help.

Ken,
Your correct Polaroid film does not work well in the IR. You might
try it with the green or blue filter from their set. Watch out for these as
well, red and yellow filters usually pass the near IR as well as violet and
some blue filters.
I learned about Polaroid film from warnings about using it during
solar eclipses. Crossed it block the visible light so your eye dilates but
lets through the IR that can burn your retina!

Gary

Gary Karshner

St. Mary's University
San Antonio, Texas