Re: cooling water

I recall hearing that hot water freezes faster than cold water ...

Ideas of that kind can best be tested by performing experiments. Put a
glass of hot water into a freezer (or outside the house on a very cold
day) and measure the time it takes for the temperature to drop to, say,
-0.5 C. I would be very surprised to find out that the measured time is
shorter than when the identical experiment is conducted with water at
the lower initial temperature.

A precalibrated thermistor which comes with the CBL set would be ideal
for monitoring the temperature of water in the freezer. Do the experiment
and share the results. Who knows, you may be right about the rate of
removing caloric, and many of us would be forced to correct a wrong
conceptual model. This would be a great illustration for the vitality of
the scientific method. Refering to your experiment future textbook
writers would say "...

Well, do the experiment first. I doubt you will find a liquid which
confirms the speculation.
Ludwik Kowalski