Re: cooling water

Doug Craigen wrote:

brian whatcott wrote:

This is a hardy perennial.

Yes, so much so that its been in the Physics FAQ for a quite a while.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/hot_water.html

It's been around longer than that. I recall hearing that hot water
freezes faster than cold water from my father, a chemical engineering
professor and inventor, when I was about four or five years old. I am
now retired. This was on the occasion that my father was helping me
build a snow house. I recall that he went into the house to get a pail
of hot water -- apparently to seal something with ice. Unfortunately,
he died a couple years later, so my early exposure to science was
short-lived.

Hugh Logan