Re: POLARIZATION

At 06:01 5/24/98 -0400, Hugh Logan wrote:
Some further thoughts based on some additional reading:

Donald E. Simanek wrote:
Is it an extension of the infamous "rope through the
picket-fence" model some textbooks foist on students as an analogy to
polarization?

Looked at as slits between conductors, I don't think it is an
extension of the "ropes through the picket-fence" model. I don't
think an ideal multislit - open slits separated by opaque strips _
would produce polarization.

The slit model and the picket fence model fail miserably when applied to
the case of a sandwich of three polarizers. The second's axis is at, say,
45 degrees to the first. The third is at 90 degrees to the first. The
picket fence and slit models would predict no light gets through. But it
does get through. Then remove the middle polarizer and then light
doesn't get through. Any model or analogy which can't deal with this case,
a case so easily demonstrated, isn't worth a moment's consideration.

I think this certainly applies to the picket fence model. I never heard
of the "slit model" until now. (Perhaps I confused the wire grid with a
multislit in my first posting). But if the "slit model" refers to the
wire grid model, I think this can pass your test as mentioned in my
second posting. (As I mentioned in my second posting, the wire grid
works by division of components, not "sifting" as in the case of the
picket fence -- using Anderson's expressions).

If, by "slit model," you are thinking of polarization by a single slit
made of metal as I described, I think three of these, the outer two
crossed, would let more light through than just the outer two if the
middle one was at an intermediate angle. (I am not sure how close to
100% polarization by one slit is possible in practice). The polarization
of the light of a given wavelength (or narrow range thereof) that barely
gets through a slit narrowed until the light is just barely visible is
definitely polarized with the plane of polarization along the direction
of the slit as observed visually. I am not thinking of "the slit model"
as many of these single slits put together. The direction of the plane
of polarization is 90 degrees different. I have never read about
polarization of visible light by a single slit in any text. I did not
try it with a non-metallic slit, which would probably have been very
difficult to make sufficiently narrow, if not impossible.
Hugh Logan

I see that no proponent of this (exceptionally?) scholarly debate
has mentioned a conceptual model taken from ordinary electromagnetic
ideas which can ( I think) help illuminate the dichotomy between 'slots'
and electric dipoles, considered as antennas.

Accepting that one defines polarization direction by reference to the
electric field orientation ( rather than that of the magnetic field) it is
easy to convey a sense of the polarization of the electric dipole.
And it's widely known that a 'broadside' array of such dipoles can easily
maintain linear polarization ( which contradicts Logan's intuition, I fancy.)

But the more important point is that an antenna of vertical polarization
may just as easily be produced by a single horizontal slot in a vertically
oriented conductive plane. Here the basic conceptual image is of a
current-driven antenna, whose dominantly horizontal currents replicate the
same vertical electrical field. (This is the 'single slit' quoted earlier)

Now when one accepts that 'slot' magnetic antennas of this kind can easily
replicate conventional 'electric' antennas of orthogonal orientation, one
begins to contemplate that material orientations in mutually perpendicular
orientations can produce identical effects.

So, if you don't like picket fence analogies, I suppose I can adduce a
material specimen (oriented orthogonally to the usual material) which fits
your preferred model (the one you like to 'foist on students' in Simanek's
words) just as badly!

In summary, the practical lab examples available as both magnetic-mode and
electric-mode VHF or UHF antennas can help dispel some of the mystery
surrounding polarization.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK