Re: POLARIZATION

Hugh Logan wrote:

As to why polarizers don't diffract, I am not sure. It might have
something to do with the fact that not all the parallel strands
of iodine atoms are in the same plane. It occurred to me that something
like Bragg scattering might apply, but for d of the order of
3 Angstroms and a wavelength lambda of visible light (thousands of
Angstroms), there would be no possible angle of relection theta in
2*d*sin(theta)= n*lambda unless the order n were very high, in which
the Bragg reflected intensity would be extremely low. This is just a
guess, but if the light couldn't be Bragg reflected, it might go
straight through. The periodicity of the iodine strands was studied by
diffraction of X-rays of much shorter wavelength than visible light.

Correction: If sin(theta) > 1 for n = 1, it would be still greater if
n were increased. We ran into something like this when we did the
simulated microwave Bragg diffraction experiment with ball bearings
embedded in styrofoam; I believe n = 3 sometimes
gave a value of sin(theta) > 1. In any case I think the general idea of
my argument holds. It is enough to say that with d = 3 Angstroms
and lambda thousands of Angstroms, and n = 1, that sin(theta) > 1. Thus
no such theta exists.

Hugh Logan