POLARIZATION

I am missing a fundamental point and would welcome clarification if
possible.

A student asked "When does a polarizing filter stop polarizing if the
spacing is made greater and greater between the 'strands' in the
polarizing filter?"

To this I would add; Does a diffracting grating polarize light? (It
certainly doesn't appear to as we tried in lab).

I believe a clarification concerning polarization would be valuable if
anyone can help with this issue.

Thanks,

David Abineri