Re: Sabbatical replacement and Dollars

It is not quite accurate that College Professors
are not organized. The American Association of
University Professors has had an immense effect
on salaries, total compensation and working
conditions. A historial review will dramatcally
demonstrate a strong correlation between the
development of the AAUP and the improvement in
working conditions.

If you think it is bad now, you should have been
in the business 35 years ago.

In any case, the law of supply and demand does
still apply at some level. We just went through
a hire for a one-year sabbatical replacement and
received several very strong applications even though
we had to advertize very late and only on the Web.
We only gave a two week response time. So it is
a buyer's market. There is no upward pressure on
salary by market forces.

Don Kniffen
Hampden-Sydney College