Re: Sabbatical replacement

Whether right or wrong, that is the reality of the workplace. To work with
(supposedly) better, more motivated students, there is a price to pay --
usually a lower salary. A friend recently made such a move (from HS
chemistry to Collegiate math and chemistry) and took a more than $10,000 cut
in pay! He teaches fewer classes, teaches fewer hours (by a wide margin),
has much more input regarding curriculum, and has a better group of students
to work with. They have an opening for math/physics this fall, but I can't
afford the cut in pay! When I queried an administrator about this, I was
told that it was the price I would have to pay for the "intangibles" of
teaching at the college level. I don't think so! Many more educators would
be willing to explore teaching at higher levels if only the level of
compensation were the same. As I said, that is the reality of the
workplace.

Kevin Grant

Herbert H. Gottlieb wrote:

Almost all of my friends who are teaching physics in the high
schools are being paid at least $30-$60 K for the same period
of time ..... and even us to $85 K or more if they have the PhD.

I am surprised that Indiana University is expecting to "make a
selection" from experienced applicants who are willing to accept
such a small salary. ..... especially where it might mean relocating
for a year and being told that the job will definately terminate at the
end
of 10 months.

I feel that university professors should be getting paid much more
that the high school teachers that they often have to teach.
Am I wrong???

Herb Gottlieb from New York City

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]