Physics/Literature collaboration...

On September 1, 1997, Dwight Souder wrote on this topic and I have had it
in my in basket ever since.

I remember my brother Paul mentioning something about a collaborative
course between mathematics and history departments where the professors
even wore period costumes, but I could not jog his memory. Maybe it is
mine that is failing.

Anyway, while doing a little house cleaning, I finally came across a
reference to the book that I was thinking about, "Journey Through Genius:
The Great Theorems of Mathematics", by William Dunham, published by John
Wiley & Sons for $19.95 in 1990. I don't have the ISBN, but its QA21 D78
in the library. It is mathematics and history as opposed to physics and
literature, but it might be a useful reference.

Another book which I enjoy very much that might be useful is "Asimov's
Chronology of Sience and Discovery" published by Harper and Row. I picked
up a copy that our library was disposing of when they got a new addition.
I try to keep it bedside or by the pot. It only takes a few minutes to
read a year or two. The items are often brief but you pick up the most
interesting insights into the timing of various discoveries. It also
includes a brief discussions of political and other events at the same
time.

Joe D. Darling jdarling@emh1.otc.cc.mo.us
Instructor of Physics and Physical Science
Ozarks Technical Community College
1020 East Brower Springfield, MO 65802
(417) 895-7907 (417) 895-7085 FAX