Re: Physics is a human construct

The revolutionary approach (of Boyle et al) to which I refer was much
more than just the use of mathematics and the measurement of "natural"
quantities (orbital shapes, velocities, etc.) The revolution consisted
in freely CREATING new instruments which generate CORRELATED numbers.
When this search proves successful, the new quantities are DEFINED as
useful "properties" of the system under observation and become
participants in humanly created mathematical models. Conceptual models
may then follow and endow these quantities with some physical meaning.

Your comments concentrate on testing of the model; I refer more to the
very conception of the model. Before the "Boyle revolution" philosophers
would directly seek a conceptual model in terms of "ordinary world"
QUALITIES. The revolutionary "Boyle" idea was to seek the design of
instruments which would generate useful numbers when allowed to
"interact" with the system under study; the conceptual model would then
be driven by the new knowledge in the empirical mathematical model.

Thus, the scientific vocabulary of "system properties" exploded from the
few "natural" qualities (thought of as inherent and objective) to the
limitless possibilities of all conceivable measuring
instruments/procedures.

Re: your math friend's comment: When one says that mathematics is a
human construct he does not thereby imply that we can change the list of
prime numbers! Mathematics, like physics, is a human description of
reality. It is the description (ie. Mathematics or Physics) which is
human, not the reality being described. (I think this is where I depart
from the postmodernist school, although I can never stay awake long
enough to understand such needlessly complicated philosophic ramblings.)

The distinction you make in your last paragraph is the distinction I make
between mathematical and conceptual models. For more of my apropos
ramblings go to Quantum, Nov/Dec 1996, "A Prelude to the Study of
Physics" - also reproduced on line at http://www.velocity.net/~trebor .

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net