Droplet Drag (was magnetic lines like these?)

At 10:29 5/14/98 CST, Philip Zell wrote:
... pressure cooker: now we're dealing with the liquid form of one
particular material (water). At a given location, two droplets of
unequal diameters will experience the same pressure but unequal forces.
E.g., if one droplet has twice the diameter of the other, it will
experience 4 times the force. But the larger droplet has 8 times the
volume of the smaller droplet, and, therefore, it has 8 times the mass of
the smaller droplet. Therefore, the larger droplet will experience an
acceleration that is half that experienced by the smaller droplet. Looks
to me like the smaller one is faster again.

Philip Zell
zell@act.org

Drag for small bodies does not scale linearly with area, as early
aerodynamicists found. Those pesky flying and landing wires of piano wire
provided disproportionate resistance for their size, compared with the drag
of a larger round strut.
I believe this does not entirely negate Zell's point.

Brian Whatcott