Re: refrigerator

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Last summer while shopping for central air conditioning, I found that
although room air conditioners are specified in BTU/hr, central air
conditioning units are specified in "tons of air conditioning". It took
a laborious net search and sending AC engineers back to their literature
to translate this specification. Who in Phys-L has the answer?

I believe that a ton of air conditioning is the amount of air conditioning
equivalent to melting a ton of ice per day. I did not do the conversion
between BTU/hr and "ton of ice"/per day, but it shouldn't be too
difficult. The latent heat of fusion is 80 kcal/kg and a BTU is the heat
needed to raise the temperature of a pound of water one degree farenheit.

Gene

Eugene (Gene) P. Mosca Phone 410-293-6659 Office
Physics Department 410-267-0144 Home
572 Holloway Road 610-683-3597 Summer
U.S.Naval Academy Mailstop 9C, Michelson Rm 339
Annapolis MD 21402 email: mosca@nadn.navy.mil