Re: refrigerator

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

An apropos tease question:

What is "a ton of air conditioning (or refrigeration)" and why is it so
called?

Last summer while shopping for central air conditioning, I found that
although room air conditioners are specified in BTU/hr, central air
conditioning units are specified in "tons of air conditioning". It took
a laborious net search and sending AC engineers back to their literature
to translate this specification. Who in Phys-L has the answer?

I spent a while just a few weeks ago searching the web for the answer to
precisely this question. I still like to think I could muster enough
resources to figure it out myself, but I'm busy now and surely someone
(Bob, if no one else) will soon enlighten me!

Eagerly,

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223