Re: refrigerator

At 19:36 5/13/98 EDT, David Dockstader wrote:
I can't remember exactly what was asked for. ...
The freons are blends of stuff so you can't just look up freon in a
handbook....

Oh really?

Encyclopedia of Chemistry, Hampel & Hawley (3rd ed. pp964)
says this:
Refrigerant 22 (monofluorodichloromethane) is a good solvent for hermetic
system components such as gaskets and motor insulation materials.
Refrigerant 12
(dichlorodifluoromethane) is used in practically all domestic refrigeration
systems.....

[But this is "Freon 12" CCl2F2 that is the ozone-menace, and is being
replaced, despite its splendid qualities.BW]

I hesitate to mention this (again and again and again), but if one refers
to the article "Refrigeration Equipment" in Enc Brit. Macropedia V15, the
Bibliography which suffixes that piece mentions this:
"ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals ch2 (1967) and ASHRAE Equipment Guide and
Data book, two large volumes that represent the most extensive coverage of
current refrigeration practice and application that has ever been written..."

This is as gushing a pointer as one would expect to find for a reference.
There must be a college library somewhere that does not possess a set of
Enc Brit., but I do not know of one.
I will commend college teachers yet again to encourage students to use this
reference. It will certainly answer many questions of the type we are
considering here or at the very least provide bibliographic pointers.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK