Marilyn again

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I agree with Bill Beaty's assessment of Marilyn, but what I want to
know is why does anyone on this list even read such stuff? Surely
there is even more egregious nonsense elsewhere, like in the daily
astrology column. Surely we should not lower ourselves to her level
and criticize her without considering her context. She's probably
just making a buck, appealing to Joe Sixpack.

Leigh

At the risk of being characterized as a Joe Sixpack (I acutally
like beer), I read her column every Sunday morning. I do this partly for
a purely entertainment value. However, there are occasions, like the one
under discussion, where I can catch her in a mistake. There also have
been some very interesting examples. The one I recall most had to do with
the game show and the probablities of choosing the door with the prize.
Marilyn got it right while a great many others got it wrong. I used the
example in the stat. mech. class I was teaching (assigned it as a homework
problem).

Mike Monce
Connecticut College