Re: south in the north

Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 08:59:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: LUDWIK KOWALSKI <KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu
Subject: Re: south in the north

I have another question about magnetic poles. Suppose that
the location of N and S are exactly located on Earth. For
example, by mapping the dip angles, averaging from
satellites, etc. Are we absolutely sure that the the N-S
line passes the center of mass of our planet?

For symmetry's sake it would be wonderful if it were true,
but I doubt it. After all, the earth isn't really a sphere
anyway. If you really want to talk about something
interesting, we might try to make some sense out of the
generation of the earth's magnetic field. Yes, I know, it
is supposed to be some type of self-excited generator
making large currents which generate the field. That
really doesn't help me much. Can I make one of these
self-exciting generators in the lab with a few simple
materials? Maybe I can undercut the power company.
WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr