Re: Centrifugal force

I think we are all (fortunately) spoiled by modern relativiistic models
and cannot easily put ourselves into the "purely Newtonian" way of
thinking. To understand Newtonian mechanics I must rid myself of these
"misconceptions".

I think Newton believed in absolute time and space and, at the outset,
fully expected that the best that he might do would be to find a physics
which would work only for an observer at absolute rest. The existence of
a whole class of inertial frames was an unexpected (and, I think,
undesired) conclusion, not an assumption.

He certainly believed in INVARIANT force pairs of interaction between
bodies as the basis of his mechanics. Only the inertial observer can use
observed acceleration as the measure of these forces, since accelerations
are frame dependent, but Newtonian forces are frame invariant, existing
independent of observation or measurement. When I speak of Newtonian
mechanics I try to recover his "misconceptions".

We speak glibly about transforming forces between frames; this was a
revolutionary innovation of Einstein and would not have occurred to a
Newtonian. What was weird thinking before Einstein is now commonplace
and almost "self- evident", and vice versa - and rightly so - that is
progress. "Misconceptions" is a relative notion - it depends on the
model which you are trying to understand. Newtonian mechanics is still
very USEFUL (the only criterion we have), with all its "anachronisms".
We stand on giants on giants . . . I prefer to give them due credit by
understanding them in the context of their milieu. That is not just
history - it is physics, because it works! (More comments below):

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda trebor@velocity.net
Dept of Physics
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.velocity.net/~trebor