Re: contribution of mathematics...

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Rauber, Joel wrote:

I want to echo a lot of what Donald said about math

My point is that we need not describe relationships in algebraic terms,
i.e. as formulae, in order to describe them in quantitative terms, and
that there is a middle ground, a quasi-quantitative way of describing
relationships that allows a certain rigor, but may be approachable to
more students, than the abstruse (to some) short hand of algebra.

Helping student see how the qualitative terms may be extracted from the
formula helps them appreciate the role of mathematics in physics

Darwin