Re: contribution of mathematics...

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Donald E. Simanek wrote:

We can demonstrate the sincerity of our support of the importance of
math by actually using appropriate math in our physics courses, and
using it in a meaningful way, not merely as number-crunching and
plug-and-solve.

I once encountered an introduction to a mathematical physics book saying
that learning physics means having know more math than a math major. I
think we all agree of math's importance in the study of physics. However,
I think one problem is that coming to an introductory physics class, a
student carries with him some expectations and misconceptions: (e.g., it
is an application of math or that it is nothing but a process of
memorizing formulas to be used in solving (end-of-chapter) problems).
Therefore, I feel that students must be given an introduction on the role
of mathematics in physics. Being able to demonstrate that we can explain
a phenomena by simply looking at an equation helps.