Re: contribution of mathematics...

I want to echo a lot of what Donald said about math

My point is that we need not describe relationships in algebraic terms,
i.e. as formulae, in order to describe them in quantitative terms, and
that there is a middle ground, a quasi-quantitative way of describing
relationships that allows a certain rigor, but may be approachable to
more students, than the abstruse (to some) short hand of algebra.

Bob's comment motivates me to compare this to what has been often said
here about physics. I have occasionally asked, playing the Devil's
advocate, "Why do we think physics courses are good for everyone?" This
rouses physics teachers to respond "To deny students the joys and values
of physics is unconscionable and unthinkable."

Several other responses often involve something regarding reasoning and
problem solving skills; I often add that taking physics helps in learning
how to math in the process and teaches math! How often have we heard from
students that they learned their math in a physics course; (do not construe
this as saying that math courses aren't teaching math, rather I think they
lay necessary ground work which the physics course then "spirals back
upon").

But, by advocating no more than quasi-quantitative instruction in physics,
aren't we denying students the joys and value of learning mathematics as a
powerful conceptual language? Aren't we passing up an opportunity to show
them examples of the power of mathematics as a thinking tool? Why do we so
easily accept that "Some students won't grasp mathematics above the
rudimentary level, so why force them to do it?"

Ditto!!

Joel Rauber