Re: contribution of mathematics...

I think Bob (below) is on the right track; arguing between purely
conceptual and purely problem solving approaches to teaching physics is
attacking a straw man.

Surely the thing that ultimately makes physics better than pyramidology (or
any other purely verbal description of the world) is the fact that we can
quantify things. In my experience it is very important to give students
(science and non-science) some idea that the concepts we use are proven to
be valid by experimentation which means connecting the real world to
numbers. Otherwise students approach the whole process the same way they
approach learning latin verbs. We are not guessing at the concepts here (or
making them up from nothing), they are not arbitrary; we are justified in
saying that we KNOW to such and such percent accruacy that theory X is true.

It seems to me the brilliance in the approaches of McDermott and Chabay and
Sherwood (who, if I'm not mistaken, do have support for their teaching
methods from research) is that they start with the physical world and help
the student build a quantifiable model up from scratch so that the student
has a very clear idea of how our current concept of, say, temperature is
built on the solid ground of physical measurement.

It seems to me the choice of which and how much mathematics to use
(algebra, calculus, or, a la Galileo, geometry) is a very small step if you
admit that you need some kind of quantification step to get started. Once
you convey the idea that making quantifiable measurments determines which
concepts are the correct ones it would seem approprate, as Bob Morse
suggests, to use the level of mathematics best suited to the audience.

So I've got two questions for the PER people:
1) Can someone knowledgeable with the research literature clarify for us
whether the research actually shows students do better (quantified in any
way) given NO idea about the conection of concepts to quantifiable
experiments?

2) Is there any indication that we can teach anything meaningful about
physics without ANY hands-on laboratory experience where quantities are
quantified (measured and put on a graph for example)?

kyle