Re: Science Fair

Interesting comments below from James, but I hasten to point out that all
the opinions expressed so far did *not* relate to required vs. voluntary
science fair projects

Joel

_________________________
"....required science fairs/project are not a sound idea." The results
showed
conclusively that few if ANY students are "turned on" to science by
participating in required science fairs, but many are "turned off." The
school
and students were TYPICAL and the teachers involved were excellent,
etc........... Maybe we should be less concerned about turning students
"on"
to science and be more concerned about turning them "off" with "good
intentions." IMHO. To date I have heard/read many opinions, but have not
seen
any research to the contrary of our findings and the NSTA guidelines. Would
invite all of the list to read Miles' papers and the review of his
life/research in one of the recent issues of NSTA's journal for The College
Science Teacher