Re: Science Fair

As a high school senior involved in a science outreach program and
planning on majoring in physics, I think that science fairs are one of
the best things going for getting kids involved in real science. My
personal rules for science are threefold: 1) create fun/interest, 2)
teach something, 3) don't teach anything WRONG. You'll notice that
explaining EVERYTHING is nowhere on the list. While the Bohr model of
the atom does not explain what is really going on with 3 dimensional
electron orbitals and electrons that don't even really exist as a
point charge spinning around the atom, it is usefull, and perhaps even
essential to teaching atomic structure and energy levels. I think ths
is analagous to what I learned in my first science fair projects. I
remember the instructions fairly clearly. Follow a set procedure.
Make your hypothesis first. Report results regardless of their
confirmation or denial of your hypothesis. Experiment with only ONE
variable. These are important things for any student fo science to
learn at a young age.

Will the experiments be trite and full of errors? Of course? Did I
discover the top quark in my project? No, I compared the
effectiveness of laundry experiments, but even in this simple
experiment, I could see errors, and if not know how to correct them at
least identify them. In the areas where science fair experiments
fail, perhaps they teach the most. Any student who really tries to do
the thing right will realize how difficult it is to control variables,
how much work goes into a simple project, the enormous amounts of
materials required, the frustration of inconclusive or difficult to
interpret data. All this is science, no matte how much we wish it
wasn't. While my laundry detergent experiment was not double blind,
and I could recognize the shapes of the pizza sauce stains and
correlate them with the detergents used, I tried to keep that out of
my decision making process. How well did I do? I don't know I was
10, not exactly champion of introspection and psychological
self-knowledge. The point is I recognized the problem then, and now,
6 years later, I know how I could have avoided it. Trial and error,
learning through role-playing, childish experiments and technique, the
science fair experience is an imperfect experience that is still one
of the greatest ways to introduce youth to what science is.