Re: Pure white

Obviously in both cases we are not talking about the "true" color of the
sun, but yellowish-orange is visual I have when I think of the sun (from
my observations as a kid).

Thanks for your support, David. In pursuit of The Truth in this matter
I have sought information from that modern Delphic Oracle, the web. I
believe there is a conspiracy behind the promotion of the proposition
that sunlight is yellow, and remembering my suspicion about a convention
that requires kids to draw yellow Suns with crayons, I sought data from
a primary authority, Crayola Canada Ltd., a subsidiary of Binney & Smith,
Inc., itself a subsdiary of that evil multinational, Hallmark Cards Inc.
Hallmark, if you will recall, is the company that invented Mother's Day
cynically for commercial puposes. Hallmark is also rumored to have been
instrumental in the death of J. H. C. so that the Passover, a commercial
disappointment, could be resurrected more rewardingly as Easter!

My best information from Crayola Canada does not lend support to my
original suspicion that the myth had been started in order to promote
the sale of yellow crayons. I did unearth information that strongly
suggests that similar skulduggery has occurred in related areas. For
example, from Crayola Canada's FAQ pages:

Question: In 1991, for the first time in the company's history, Binney &
Smith retired eight classic crayons colours to make room for eight new
brighter, bolder shades. So attached were Americans to their favourite
colours that protest groups were formed, including RUMPS and the National
Campaign to Save Lemon Yellow.

What do you think RUMPS's initials stand for?

Answer: RUMPS stands for the Raw Umber and Maize Preservation Society.
In Canada, in an effort to prevent similar uprisings, the Canadian public
was asked to vote on which colours were to be retired, at polls set up
across the country.

And you thought we Canadians only held referenda for serious reasons!
One more gem which might cast some light on the primary question:

Question: Blue, red and green are the colors most people prefer, in that
order, regardless of nationality. Yellow decreases in popularity with
age. What do you think is the least popular color in the world?

Answer: Sulphur, a yellow-green combination, is the most disliked color
in the world.

The second question is from the US Crayola page. Note the change in
spelling, e.g. "colour" on the Canadian page. Some Canadians use British
spellings, particularly easterners (who call themselves "central
Canadians". Unaccountably the official Crayola spelling of "sulfur" is
British! Could it be that the Queen owns Hallmark, too?

It is reported that an effort to promote Sulphur colored Suns met
serious consumer resistance in kindergartens and daycare centers across
the USA. Kids who persist in choosing Sulphur for Suns are now routinely
given Ritalin.

Enough.

Leigh