Re: Pure white

One of the parameters in our perception of white that has been left
out of this discussion is the mind. I realize that most of us would like to
ignore this awkward parameter, but in the perception of what is white it is
important. The mind decides what is white in any temperature of light and
adjust other colors accordingly. This is why a white sheet of paper appears
white both when you view it in sun light and with an incandescent lamp. It
is also why if you buy colored clothing viewed \with an incandescent lamp or
worse yet a fluorescent lamp, it will appear different with you take it
outside.
Color film does not compensate which is why outdoor film produces
indoor pictures with a yellow cast, and even weirder colors under
fluorescent lamps. If your mind didn't play with your perception of colors
you would see the same colors as the film.
As a last note, your peripheral vision "like your night vision is in
black and white (rods only), but your mind colors the edges of your vision
so the whole picture appears to be in color! Our perception of things as
they are and not always that simple.

Gary
Gary Karshner

St. Mary's University