Re: Filament -Thoriated Tunsten

I am disappointed that Leigh should pursue the stereotyped response to
the "Brit" part of Enc Brit. I thought it was quite generally known which
National resources provide a large part of this excellent first reference,
these days?

I know it is now published in the US, as it has been for decades. The
articles are still largely written by Brits, however. Dingle had a long
battle with a teacher of mine, Edwin McMillan, in the Letters to Nature
back in the fifties. I bought an Encyclopedia Americana* in 1958 as a
result partly of finding Dingle's name on that article.

The Brits have and have had many great scientists. I will be visiting
Britain again for five weeks this summer, and I will spend a week or
more in Cambridge, a city I learned to love when I spent the 1994-95
academic year in the Cavendish. Cambridge is the greatest theme park
in the world for academic scientists.

All this is by way of dispelling any illusion Brian may have created
about my latent anglophobia. I'm named for an English poet, my surname
is English (when I immigrated to Canada they counted me as English!)
and I've never so much as kicked a British dog.

Leigh

* a waste of money