Re: Sophisticated calculators

Leigh Palmer wrote:

In my humble opinion the calculator will not be in use in 5 to ten years.
With the advent of small palm tops and the like I think that programs like
mathcad and mathmatica will soon be running on those machines. From my
experience those programs make even the most advanced calculator look like a
slide rule.

I think you've got the time scale wrong. I note that an hp 35
(if it were working) would still be useful today. Several of us
on this list have acknowledged that we use hp 15Cs on a daily
basis, and I submit that we all probably also own rock-crushing
desktop computers as well. I have a Power Mac running Maple and
Code Warrior, for example, but a couple of weeks ago I repaired
my hp15C's case because it is subject to so much daily wear.

In the hilarious Woody Allen movie "Sleeper" several of these
visionary science fiction ideas are introduced (my favorite was
the "orgasmatron"). I, in my characteristically curmudgeonly
way, will continue to extol the virtue of being able to perform
what used to be considered perfectly ordinary mental arithmetic.
If George is right at least I'll really be able to impress my
granddaughter!

What a chilling thought this is!

Leigh

I have to agree with Leigh here. After all, how many people are still using
their "Fil-o-fax" or their "Dayrunner", or that slip of paper in their wallet
with all the names and numbers on it. Despite the fact that you can purchase an
electronic organizer for LESS that some of the more lavish leather-bound paper
versions, people stick with the simplicity of quickly jotting things down.
Although Mathcad and Maple and other similar programs make a TI-8x/9x look like
lines in the sand, they are not exactly simple to use. In addition, they have
even MORE features which would go unused in day to day calculations of the type
which are now done on a calculator. The calculator will be around until there
is no need to do "calculator type" arithmetic anymore, and I suspect that that
day is a long way off.

--
Hans G. Ammitzboll physics@mindless.com
Drew University Physics Dept.