Re: Sophisticated calculators

Our math students are required to buy them but after a year of use in
the calculus course most of them still do not know how to access any
capabilities that they could not have gotten in a $19.95 calculator.
The problem, as you note, is that the user interface stinks on ice.

The best that can be said for these things (and it is a great deal in
some situations) is that they are far cheaper than computers so you
can equip a lab for a lot less money and do much of the same stuff
you can do with MBL materials. In public schools, this is a big deal.
I don't know why college math faculty seem so entranced by them,
however.

I know it is not wise to formulate an opinion on the basis of a one-day
impression. But I have a desire to share these reflections. What do you
think about graphic calculators? How many of you use them in the CBL
activities? I also was motivated by the prospect of taking students
outside for data gathering. But I may change my mind. The learning curve
is so steep. And climbing it is so unpleasant. The MBL activities are much
more attractive in that respect. Yes, sophisticated calculators are less
expensive than computers. But are they worth using? What evidence is
available that teaching high school mathematics with them is more
productive than teaching it traditionally?
Ludwik Kowalski

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227