Re: Sophisticated calculators

LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

Suppose he just opened the box and is trying to
learn about the gadget from the guidebook included. My guess is that the
kid would be frustrated and would give up very quickly.

Kids don't "read the fine manual". They learn from their friends.

I have done these things
with other tools and I can not imagine how anyone can enjoy Ti83.

I like other tools, too. Every 'new' toy has a learning curve. All my students hace a graphic
calc and I want to make the best of the situation.

...How can I enjoy programming when I discover
that even simple expressions can not be typed directly? The words such as
IF or ELSE, or operators such as < or =, etc. must be cut from menus and
pasted into programs. And I must remember how to generate these menus and
submenus (which keys to press and in what order). And the screen is so
tiny. And the debugging is so difficult. And ...

Takes a while to learn, yes. Most programs are already available and free for the
downloading. I find that my students enjoy some "simple" programing.

I know it is not wise to formulate an opinion on the basis of a one-day
impression. But I have a desire to share these reflections. What do you
think about graphic calculators? How many of you use them in the CBL
activities? I also was motivated by the prospect of taking students
outside for data gathering. But I may change my mind. The learning curve
is so steep.

First few labs I did with CBLs I agreed with you. But, after three or four experiences the
students get ahead of me and begin generating the ideas and problem solutions. I spent a week
last summer at a T^3 workshop and learned a lot. Much more than dinking around in the lab
with a CBL and manual by myself. This summer we are offering the workshop at our school.

But are they worth using? What evidence is
available that teaching high school mathematics with them is more
productive than teaching it traditionally?

I don't have data. But, look at the broader question. Is ANY technology (or teaching method)
worth using? I believe this depends on the teacher and his/her students. Remember the
technology should be secondary to the learning. I can say that I like the portability, the
immediacy, and the power to visualize. I think graphic calculators and CBLs CAN be a positive
in the science or math classroom. But, it depends on how they are used.

Dave

--
David A. Simmons
St. John's Jesuit High School