Re: Troubles with MAC OS 8.1

You may want to try OS8.0 rather than going all the way back to OS7.5. I've
got a total of 7 different kinds of Macs (inclucing an 8500 AV) plus half a
dozen colleagues with Macs running OS8.0 and we have had a lot better
stability with OS8.0 than 7.5.5 or 7.6; including network interactions. I
don't think I've had more than two system crashs in 6 months. Program
crashes are rare and if a program does crashes it never takes the OS down
with it; you don't have to re-boot. And 'option apple escape' actually
kills a program that has locked up withought downing the whole system (that
never seemed to work correctly for me before). I've not found any old
software that doesn't work with OS8.0 either (although I did have to get a
patch for WordPerfect from their web site to solve some minor problems with
pull down menues).

It is my understanding that the recent changes in the Mac OS were intended
to make the OS more unix like (underneath the hood so to speak) and
therefore more stable....But you are right, there are only a few noticable
changes on the surface.

Don't know noth'n about no OS8.1 though.

kyle