Re: Troubles with MAC OS 8.1

Seduced by recommendations I recently replaced MAC OS-7.5, which came
with the MAC 8500 AV machine, by MAC OS-8.1

The old system worked fine, the new one crashes (freezes) very frequently.
When this happens I have no choice but to restart the machine incorrectly.
After the restart I see a message saying that the machine was turned in
the wrong way and that I should have used the off key on my keyboard. But
that key does nothing after all is frozen. What option do I have?

And why do I have so many freezes? No new software, beside the operating
system, and no new hardware, were added. But the system 7.5 worked fine
while the new system does not. Any help will be appreciated. The machine
is not connected to a network.

Ludwik Kowalski kowalskiL@alpha.montclair.edu

Ludwick:
We have been using 8.1 here for several weeks to a month now and not had
any real problems. Things if anything seem even more stable. I do not
know of any specific suggestions to make. When we updated we did what is
called a clean install which sets your existing system folder aside and
makes a fresh one. We also checked the hard drive for any flaws and had
those repaired. It might help to rebuild the desktop file and zap the
pram. I forget the key presses, but the last two are things you do during
start up.

Another possibility is that you have a piece of software that is old enough
that moving to 8.1 has crossed a threshold of compatibility. What are the
vintages of the software you are using and is there a tendency to crash
when those of older vintage are in use? Just a thought.

Dewey

Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr. Phone: (208)385-3105
Professor of Physics Dept: (208)385-3775
Department of Physics/MCF421/418 Fax: (208)385-4330
Boise State University dykstrad@bsumail.idbsu.edu
1910 University Drive Boise Highlanders
Boise, ID 83725-1570 novice piper

"Physical concepts are the free creations of the human mind and
are not, however it may seem, uniquely determined by the external
world."--A. Einstein in The Evolution of Physics with L. Infeld,
1938.
"Every [person's] world picture is and always remains a construct
of [their] mind and cannot be proved to have any other existence."
--E. Schrodinger in Mind and Matter, 1958.
"Don't mistake your watermelon for the universe." --K. Amdahl in
There Are No Electrons, 1991.