Troubles with MAC OS 8.1

Seduced by recommendations I recently replaced MAC OS-7.5, which came
with the MAC 8500 AV machine, by MAC OS-8.1

The old system worked fine, the new one crashes (freezes) very frequently.
When this happens I have no choice but to restart the machine incorrectly.
After the restart I see a message saying that the machine was turned in
the wrong way and that I should have used the off key on my keyboard. But
that key does nothing after all is frozen. What option do I have?

And why do I have so many freezes? No new software, beside the operating
system, and no new hardware, were added. But the system 7.5 worked fine
while the new system does not. Any help will be appreciated. The machine
is not connected to a network.

Ludwik Kowalski kowalskiL@alpha.montclair.edu