Re:microwave ovens

At 03:23 PM 4/2/98 -0800, you wrote:
I had a student ask about heating metallic items in a microwave oven. She
said that the package she was heatiing had a metallic lining. Also she said
the sides of the microwave are metallic. What is the story about heating
metals in microwave ovens?

I had a student working on a project which was
to produce a microwave platter for which different
parts heat different amounts, thereby allowing
different foods placed on the platter to heat differing
degrees. To achieve this small metal fragments are scattered
through out an insulating material. The fragments heat the material
by induction and/or arcing between fragments, (I think), and
then the platter material heats the food.

RJ Foley
foleyr@uwstout.edu